Learning at Acton Academy Las Cruces
LEARN TO LEARN
Socratic Discussions and self paced challenges equip children to be independent lifelong learners.
LEARN TO DO
Hands-on Quests for Science, Entrepreneurship and the Arts prepare children for Apprenticeships and real world challenges.
LEARN TO BE
The Hero’s Journey, relational covenants and real world consequences transform difficult decisions into virtuous habits.
Work on difficult real world Quests. Learn to calculate, write and think more deeply.
Surrounded by friends who will support and challenge you.
Find A Calling
Through exploring gifts, passions and apprenticeships so you can change the world
Mastering Reading, Writing, Math, and Civilization using computer simulations and intense Socratic Discussions.
Competing and collaborating in a game-like series of real world projects to learn 21st Century Skills.
Experimenting with entrepreneurs, scientists and community leaders,honing your most precious gifts and talents until you find a “calling” in life.
Children’s Business Fair coming Spring 2017
A school for the 21st Century
- * The latest in educational technology for self paced mastery of reading, writing and math skills.
- * Deep Socratic discussions about heroes, history and self governance to hone critical thinking skills and the ability to powerfully think, write and speak.
- * Hands-on project based Quests to master the tools and skills needed to solve problems in the real world.
- * Written promises and covenants that form a tightly bound community of individuals learning to form authentic friendships and honestly resolve interpersonal problems.
A Learner Driven Community
- * Students create and sign a Contract of Promises describing how each individual will act and the consequences for violating community norms.
- * Mentor teams encourage younger and older students to listen, affirm, set goals and hold each other accountable.
- * Learn to Be – badges that celebrate character and completing leadership challenges.
Earn Badges to Prove you’ve mastered new skills
Young heroes celebrate the mastery of tools, skills and character by earning badges, assembling portfolios and taking part in public exhibitions.
- * Parents use badges to track academic progress in Core Skills like reading, writing, math and spelling and character development in “Learn to Be” Badges.
- * Electronic and hard copy Portfolios capture rough drafts, photos, video and other creative work.
- * Public exhibitions at the end of most Quests allow young heroes to present work to experts, customers or the public for a real world test.
Let’s Get Inspired
Founder of Khan Academy visiting Action Academy.
Founder of School In The Cloud visiting Action Academy.
Action co-founder Jeff Sandefer on reimagining learning in the 21st Century.